Sunday, May 6, 2012

Sculpture Center Reaction

     For our fourth field trip, we visited the Sculpture Center. The exhibit was the "Bill Bollinger: The Retrospective," and his exhibit focused on the dimension of space and the shows different architectural elements. This exhibit was interesting and different from all the other exhibit I have seen so far and every piece of art work had it's own form of uniqueness. I have chosen three piece of works of art that were displayed in the Sculpture Center to talk about.
    The first piece of art work I will talk about is the "Cyclone Fence." It was a fence that was twisted 180 degrees and laid not so much in the center but was place a little more to the left hand side of the room making it stand out as soon as you enter the exhibit. I felt like that was an extremely smart place to put that piece of art work because it was the first thing that caught everyone's eye. It was a eye catcher from as soon as you enter. This beautiful fence made my mind wonder and made me create scenarios in my head making me think about how would I get over a fence like this if I ever came across one. I'm the type of person that likes to create crazy scenarios in my head when I see a certain type of art. With that being said I think this piece of art had to be my favorite of the bunch because it wasn't just something that I saw and left my mind after, it was something I saw and something that made me think and stood with me till the end.
     The second piece of art work I will discuss is the "Water Tanks," that we located in the basement of the exhibit. I was a water tank that was center in the middle of what looked like a hallway, so when as soon as you got done the stairs it was the first thing that you saw when you entered and the last thing that you saw when you left. It was a old rusty water tank that had water filled up to the top. I'm not sure if there was anything located inside of the tank I was very hesitate to look inside of it for some strange reason so I'm still wondering if there was something inside of the filled up water tank or if it was just a rusty old water tank filled up with water. 
     And lastly the third piece of art work I will talk about is the "Rope Piece." It was a piece of rope that connected from the floor to the ceiling also located in the cellar of the exhibit. It was pass the water tank hallway into a separate narrow room with another rope that was simply laying flat on the ground. The rope connected to the floor and ceiling wasn't a very big distance but it I think that's what made it so unique. It wasn't a type of rope that you would think of climbing up on but a type that made you step back and think about it and the area surrounding it at well. 
    All three forms of these art works had a special meaning as to why the were placed where they were. Even if you don't understand what type of meaning the art work is trying to display you have to remember that the art work doesn't stand alone without the surrounding it has all around it. And that is what Bill Bollinger wanted to display as well. That he's art work is nothing without everything around it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment