Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Chelsea Galleries Reaction

This week I didn't go to a typical art museum like the museums in the past but I went around Chelsea, New York to view different art galleries from many different artist and their work. Each artist had their own form of art that was like no other. Of course like always I had my favorites and my not so favorites but each artist that I saw had a very interesting type of art style.

On my journey around Chelsea was something I never thought about doing, which is weird because I work around the majority of the galleries that I went it to see. My favorite gallery that I went to see had to be Gilbert & George. There gallery was extremely and had me captivated as soon as I entered their world of art. I was like each photo told a many different topics like muggers, toddlers, addicts, young girls and many different other topics. I was so drawn into their type of artwork because I learned that each topic was actually a news headline at one point. And reading all of the different frames of work brought many different emotions to me. And I love being able to connect to a work that gives me a sense of emotion.

The art gallery that I did not like or find interest in had to Anish Kaporr. Kapoor's work was of freestanding concrete sculptures. They had a unique form of texture but had no affect on me when I looked at it. It was like looking at a blank piece of paper for me. No emotion was created inside me when I looked at it. It was a different type of artwork that everyone should see at one point in their life because it is not a piece of art that you would see everyday, but for my own personal taste it just wasn't for me.

Art is something that we come across everyday. I learned that when I went to visit different galleries at Chelsea. Someone can make unique artwork using gallons of cement. Or take old news articles and make a collage of the topic to make art. The Chelsea galleries is something I would love to go and continue to visit. And since I literally work across the high from many of them I think it is something that I will take up as a hobby and bring some co-workers to along to experience visiting a gallery that we pass by everyday going to work. 


Anish Kapoor
2011-12


Gilbert & George

No comments:

Post a Comment