Sunday, April 1, 2012

MoMa PS1: The Good, The Bad and The Misunderstood

This pass week I had another great opportunity to go and visit the MoMA PS1. At this MoMa I saw different types of art at this MoMa than the MoMA in the city. The art work in this museum was the type of art that I have never seen before. The art work was displaced on different floors portraying different types of art from your regular painting on a canvas to art work being displayed on a big screen. I will discuss the art that I would say would be "good" art, the art work that I would describe as "bad" art, and piece of art work that I just couldn't understand.

The one piece of art work that caught my attention wasn't your typical art work that hangs on the wall in the museum. It was Janet Cardiff's "The Forty Part Motet" that caught more then my eye at the exhibit. She had place forty speakers around a huge room with each speaker letting out a different sound. When I first walked into the all white room with the beautiful music playing I felt like I had enter the gates of heaven. Like at the very moment nothing in the world mattered because where I was at that very moment was where I wanted to be. When I got to the center of the room and sat down on the bench hearing the music all the stress that I had in me was just simply released. It is art work like that that I would say is "good" art. Art work that can change my whole mood.

The one piece of art work that I personally didn't like was Frances Stark "My Best Thing." Stark's art work was portrayed in a video. The video was talking about how people do sexual things over the internet in chat rooms. The video was set with little avatars that almost looked like Adam and Eve from the bible to me. They spoke in this robotic voice that was very annoying and it made me feel like I couldn't stay in the room long enough to fully understand what the video was saying. I'm sure that the video had a great story line that people should listen to since the internet is such a dangerous place but I didn't like how she put it together with the neno background color and the annoying robotic voices. That piece of art is something that I would say is "bad" art.

The one art work that I didn't understand at all was Darren Bader "Chicken Burrito, Beef Burrito." This art work was just a white room with windows and music. I don't understand why this was called chicken burrito, beef burrito when there was absolutely nothing that was related to a chicken or beef burrito at all. I don't think I will ever understand this piece of art even if someone gave me their interpretation of what they think. I think it's just one of those pieces of art work that no one will even fully understand what Bader meant to portray.

Every person has their own view and opinion of art work. Something that I saw as "good" art someone else reading this blog might see it as something amazing and vise versa with the "bad" being seen as "good." An artist is meant to tell a story with the work and every painting, video, or musical piece of art is meant to tell a story and to make us feel a certain way.

Janet Cardiff
"The Forty Part Motet"
40-Track Sound Recording (14:00 minutes), 40 Speakers
2001.

Frances Stark
"My Best Thing"
Video (Sound, Color)
2011

Darren Bader
Chicken Burrito, Beef Burrito

No comments:

Post a Comment